Präsentation während der DOAG 2020 Konfrerenz + Ausstellung, die von Dienstag, den 17. November 2020 bis Donnerstag, den 19. November 2020 Online stattfinden wird:
Flashback Table / FBDA – A deep diveWe run a large legacy application which uses a simulated IDS2-(Host-)database built on top of Oracle 19c called VIDS. VIDS has no transaction support so that failed Host-batch jobs have to be restored entirely. Furthermore, our users want to be able to rewind data to an earlier point in time, which is not yet possible.
The obvious technique to build a save / restore solution that meets the mentioned requirements seems to be Flashback. The main reason is that the “save” runs in no time and 90% of the time the jobs finish successfully and therefore no restore is needed. At the beginning of the project we started with Flashback Table (FBT) in combination with Flashback Data Archive (FBDA).
This session will be a deep dive into how Flashback (especially FBT / FBDA) works. Also, we’ll look at its advantages and its drawbacks and things we learned while building the save / restore solution:
• Is it safe to combine FBT and FBDA?
• In which constellations is it possible to use FBT and when is it better not to?
• What are the requirements database wise?
• How did the oracle support “help“ to solve problems we encountered?
• Reasons why we finally discarded FBT and how we build our own FBT solution fixing some of FBT’s flaws. How we added support to restore partitions, something FBT is not able to do out of the box.
Die Präsentaion findet am Donnerstag, den 19. November 2020 um 11:00 Uhr (CET) Online statt.
Der Referent ist Daniel Stein, Debeka Krankenversicherungsverein a. G.